Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

More transcription, this time from former mayoral race opponents

Of course these two would never like to be called opponents, but they were at one time. Technically.

It was either a little ironic or nicely planned that Jerry Jones introduced Mayor Cedric Glover at Tuesday's Downtown Rotary Club meeting. Jones said when he was asked to talk he hoped it was to give the victory speech he never delivered.

Instead he welcomed the mayor, who became an honorary Rotarian that day. Here's part of what he said:

It actually is a great pleasure for me to introduce our speaker today. Cedric and I have known each other for 16 years. We both went to the city at the same time: he as a councilman from District A, the youngest city councilman ever to be elected to the city of Shreveport, and me a city attorney.

And I think both of us took a while to figure out things, like where the bathrooms were at City Hall, but we learned a lot of things together. We learned how city government works, and we learned how to work together.

Cedric and I ran a great campaign against one another. Cedric was always a friend. We don’t always agree -- we won’t always agree -- but that’s the great thing about politics. And the great thing about politics in Shreveport is that we can do that while still being agreeable gentlemen. And that’s why Cedric and I believe our relationship works.

So, it’s my pleasure to introduce my friend, now my fellow Rotarian, but most importantly, my mayor.


(A special thanks to Sherry Shephard for transcribing the speech from her notes.)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home