Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments - Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The signs of the times

As excited as I've been about today and looking forward to the possibility of history being made in my hometown ( or not) , for a brief second, when I woke up this morning, I'd completely forgotten it was election day.

I heard the buzz of a lawnmower or something going outside of my apartment and I just turned over to go back to sleep and catch some last minute ZZZZ's before my cell phone alarm went off.
Unfortunately, or rather fortunately, I was soon reminded starting with two consecutive text messages forwarded from my friends in other cities reminding me to vote and to forward this reminder to other friends.

Then, around 1 p.m., while I was out pumping gas in my car at the Exxon gas station located at the corner of Youree Drive and Bert Kouns, I heard the non-stop blaring of a megaphone man urging people to "Get out and vote today. You can make a difference!"
My eyes followed the direction of the sound and saw a crowd of what looked like at least 15 or 20 people covered in loud orange and black signs with the name of District D City Council candidate Bryan Wooley displayed on the front.

As I made my way to my precinct in Queensborough to vote, I'd passed hundreds of other signs including Cedric Glover's "Make History, Vote for Cedric Glover."

When my sister and I finally arrived at our district's precinct, located at the old Shreve Memorial Atkins Branch Library, I was happy to find out I wasn't the only one who'd taken heed of all of the signs around me reminding me to vote. Officials said that turnout had been really high so far and noted that my sister was the 200th person to vote. This was around 2 p.m.

Whether Shreveport makes history or not is yet to be seen, but one thing I know for sure: no one will be able to truthfully say they didn't vote because they forgot to.
Figuratively and literally, the signs are all around us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home